Sunday, March 15, 2015

Guinness Corned Beef

St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays of the year. My dad's side of the family is Irish, and we make corned beef and cabbage every year. I got a little tired of the traditional cooking technique of cooking everything in water, because it just wasn't as flavorful as I wanted it to be. I decided to cook the meat separate from the vegetables, and to try cooking it in beer. I was not disappointed!! In fact, this is my favorite way to cook corned beef, and I may never go back!! This Guinness corned beef, aka "the best corned beef ever", is amazing! I have everyone ask me for the recipe. Not only does it taste great, but it's incredibly simple to make :)



Here's what you'll need:

3-4 bottles of Guinness draught (I prefer over stout, because stout can make it somewhat bitter)
1 2-4 lb corned beef
1/2 cup of brown sugar
salt to taste



Start by opening the corned beef and rinsing it off under cold water. You can discard the seasoning packet if you wish. I personally discard it, but you could always add it if you want.



Rub the entire corned beef in brown sugar. Make sure you coat all of the sides and lay the corned beef in a crock pot, fat side down.



Carefully pour the Guinness around the corned beef until it just covers the top of the meat. If you see a little bit of the meat sticking out, that's okay. Make sure you don't pour the Guinness directly onto the meat, because you don't want to wash the brown sugar off.



Cook for 6-8 hours, flipping the meat once, half way through.



Carefully take the corned beef out and place of a cutting board. Scrape the fat off of the meat. It will be very easy to remove, so don't be intimidated by how gross it looks lol



Cut the corned beef against the grain, into strips. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve with a side of cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. This recipe also makes great leftovers! Try serving the leftover meat on Hawaiian bread sub rolls, with a little thousand island dressing...delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment