Sunday, January 11, 2015

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

With the new year, many people have made it a goal to get healthy and get in shape. I am definitely one of those, especially after all of the treats from the holidays!! One of the most important things I try to do is find healthy alternatives that taste good, but also ones that my kids will eat :) I've grown up in the midwest where we always had a meat, starch, and vegetable at every dinner. It's hard for me to get away from that, because I feel like a meal isn't complete without those items. I love potatoes whether they are mashed, fried, or roasted. However, my waistline does not! Instead of making regular potatoes, I've started using sweet potatoes. Now, these are not the sweet potatoes that are loaded with butter, sugar, and cinnamon...I mean, the goal is to be healthy right?! Well even though these aren't loaded with a lot of bad things, they still taste great, and are so simple to make!! Plus, my kids love them...need I say more?



Here's what you'll need:

2-3 large sweet potatoes (depending on the sizes, you may only need 2), peeled
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Preheat your oven to 375. Peel and then chop into bite sized pieces. Try to cut them all the same size, so that they cook evenly. Put the potatoes in a large glass bowl and mix in the olive oil and salt. Stir so they are evenly coated. At this point, I personally put them in the microwave and hit "potato," in order to soften them a bit before roasting them in the oven. I work every day, so saving any bit of time is helpful!



Use non-stick foil or some extra olive oil to coat the bottom of a cookie sheet. I personally use non-stick foil to save on the calories, however you get a crispier potato if you cook it in oil on the metal pan.



Roast the potatoes for 30-45 minutes, turning halfway through. Once the potatoes are to your preferred crispiness, take them out and sprinkle just a bit more salt on them while they are still hot. I suggest serving this as a side to roasted or grilled chicken and a vegetable, then enjoy! This should make 4-6 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment