Sunday, April 19, 2015

Spinach and Cream Cheese "Meatballs" -Vegetarian

As I said in my previous blog post, my family and I love meatballs! However, we do have several friends and family members who are vegetarian, and sadly cannot eat the meatballs I typically make. This is a great recipe for vegetarians, and helps them to not feel left out on Italian night :) This recipe is a hit, even with people who eat meat. You can also customize it a bit to make it your own, such as adding fresh parsley or other herbs and cheeses. These also can be baked or fried, however baking is a lot healthier.



Here's what you'll need:

1 box of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1-1 1/2 cups of italian bread crumbs (Start with 1 cup and add more if needed.  I use more if I'm going to be simmering them in sauce, so they won't fall apart)
1 package of cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of chopped or ground walnuts (optional)
1/2 stick of butter
1 tsp of minced garlic
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375. Mix all of the ingredients together, until they are fully incorporated.




Form into balls. Coat a baking sheet in olive oil, and space the balls evenly on the pan.



Bake the "meatballs" for 30 minutes, flipping them halfway through.



Once they are done, you can either serve them, or simmer them in sauce. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment